How do you write a good twist villain?
Let the hero make bad decisions. Let the villain make sacrifices. Let the reader see it, but keep the protagonist in the dark – or, maybe the protag can see it but can’t do anything about it. A surprise reveal is over and done, and it shoves everything we’ve accepted up that point off the table.
How do you make a good story?
What Makes a Good Story?
- Theme. A theme is something important the story tries to tell us—something that might help us in our own lives.
- Plot. Plot is most often about a conflict or struggle that the main character goes through.
- Story Structure. At the beginning, jump right into the action.
- Style and Tone.
How do you foreshadow?
To create foreshadowing in fiction or non-fiction,
- Give the reader direct information by mentioning an upcoming event or explaining the plans of the people or characters portrayed in the text:
- Place clues in the first few sentences of a story or chapter to indicate the themes that will be important later:
How do you make a good twist in a story?
10 Simple Tips For Writing Clever Plot Twists
- Approach your story as a reader.
- Use subtle misdirection.
- Use even subtler foreshadowing.
- Let your characters create the plot twists.
- Ensure your twist is believable and necessary – and makes sense.
- Disguise a plot twist… within a plot twist.
- Create a subplot that means more than readers think.
How do you write an ending to a story?
How to Write a Satisfying Ending for Your Novel
- Know your ending before you start writing.
- Build tension in the leadup to the end.
- Try different endings on for size.
- Leave room for interpretation.
- Ensure that your ending makes sense.
- Evoke emotions.
- Make sure your ending resolves the storyline.
What makes a character complex instead of simple?
Simple characters don’t necessarily have fewer pieces than complex characters; it’s more that for a simple character, all the pieces point in the same direction, while for a complex character they point in different directions. A simple character is one you (or the reader) can safely take at face value.
What is a plot twist examples?
Example of Plot Twist. Here’s an example of a plot twist in a piece of crime fiction: The ransom was ready…all the family and police had to do now was wait. Soon they would have the kidnapper, and the man would get his wife back.
How do you end a fantasy story?
There are other ways to end a fantasy book than battle.
- 1) If you choose a magical ritual or battle, make it lavish.
- 2) If you have a confrontation between two characters, make sure it’s worth it.
- 3) Don’t cheat your confrontation of length or depth because you want a happy ending.
How do you simplify a story?
Here’s some that I’ve seen:
- Reduce the number of point of view characters, for first time authors I was told to use only one, but of course I didn’t follow that advice.
- Rewrite the story from the point of view of a narrator, removing other viewpoints.
- Cut subplots to a minimum.
How can I make my plot more interesting?
Follow these rules to ensure you have a good plot
- Plot Rule 1: Create a plot skeleton.
- Plot Rule 2: Flesh out your plot.
- Plot Rule 3: Bring your plot to a powerful resolution.
- Plot Rule 4: End your story at a natural stopping place.
- Plot Rule 5: Make sure your characters resolve conflicts on their own.
How do you make real characters?
Below are a few writing tips for crafting more realistic characters:
- Draw from real life.
- Incorporate flaws.
- Include mannerisms.
- Give the character motivation.
- Write realistic dialogue.
- Include relationships with supporting characters.
- Develop your characters.
How do you make a story flow?
4 Easy Edits That Make Your Story Flow Better
- Eliminate crutch words. Crutch words are words we lean on too much in our writing — used when unnecessary, repeated too often, diluting the point.
- Finish strong with sentences and paragraphs.
- Substitute action or description for he said/she said.
- Break up some paragraphs.
How do you write a happy ending?
A Checklist For Writing A Great Happy Ending
- It’s positive, but not perfect.
- Loose ends are tied up neatly.
- No last-minute entanglements or distractions.
- Hint at things to come.
- No deus ex machina.
- Happiness happens in context.
- There’s A Difference Between The Right Ending And The Happy Ending.
How do you end a story with a twist?
5 Tips for Writing a Good Plot Twist
- Kill off a seemingly important character.
- Let your character discover a plot twist organically.
- Elevate a seemingly minor character.
- Have your big reveal instigate a twist ending.
- Make sure your plot twist is earned.
What makes a good fantasy story?
For a story to be considered ‘fantasy’, it needs to contain some sort of magic system. Your magic system should play a key part in your story. Whether it’s a source of conflict (see more on this below), a driving plot force, or a means for character development, magic is of vital importance in every fantasy novel.
How do I make my character more human?
8 Ways to Make Your Characters More Relatable
- Some Quick Notes. Not every character has to be relatable.
- Give Them a Vulnerability.
- Introduce the Minutia.
- Let Them Fail.
- Give Them Values.
- Use Wit and Humor.
- Allow Them to Be Self-Aware.
- Make Them Nice.
What are the 5 parts of characterization?
An acronym, PAIRS, can help you recall the five methods of characterization: physical description, action, inner thoughts, reactions, and speech.
What makes a plot bad?
There’s many things that make a good plot. A bad plot’s characters are uninteresting, inconsistent, and hold no value whatsoever. Structure – Whether you like it or not, structure can make or break a story. Doesn’t matter if you have an interesting plot, characters, or a good message.
How do you write a mind blowing story?
Tips for Crafting a Mind-Blowing Plot Twist
- Throw Out the Obvious. Brainstorm plot twists.
- Use Misdirection. Like a magician, keep your audience’s attention focused on your right hand while the magic happens with the left.
- Crank Up the Foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a must to plant clues along the way.
- Avoid Gimmicks.
What makes a bad plot twist?
Bad plot twists invalidate everything that has happened in the story so far. They make the story less meaningful. To take an extreme example, imagine you are reading a romance story. When the twist is revealed, the reader has the feeling that suddenly they understand the story in a more profound way.
What makes a story complex?
Complex mostly means a lot is going on at the same time. Many characters with differenct wishes and desires. To make it more complex you simply need more subplots, that are needed for the fulfilment of your mainplot. A twist never makes a story complex.
How do you write quiet characters?
Here are ten tips on bringing your introverted characters to life:
- Make them quiet, not shy.
- Give them a retreat, not a cave.
- Let them create.
- Create them as an expert in their field.
- Pay attention to their learning style.
- Make them the underdog.
- Write them as sarcastic, cynical and argumentative.